Symbols play an important role in everyday communication and in every culture. They can replace parts of the verbal discourse and deliver messages in a conscious or unconscious way. The most important aspect of SymfoS education and career guidance method to work with young people is to give right weight to symbols, learn how to read and interpret them.
In order to explain why and how symbols are used in SymfoS career guidance process, the project partners elaborated the Generic Framework for Symbol work, first project result of the European project SymfoS.
The Generic Framework for Symbol work provides an insight into the SymfoS approach and its possible applications in the different project countries. The document was written to provide all essential information about symbol work: its aims, guiding methods, tools, the SymfoS counselling process and counselling scenarios, the validation of the SymfoS learning outcomes for trainers and young people in each project country.
Who can benefit from the Generic Framework for Symbol work and how?
The Generic Framework for Symbol work is addressed to:
- Trainers, teachers and career guidance officers who wants to learn more about this method and understand the power of symbols in the education and career guidance field and in different cultures. This document is part of training material.
- VET managers who can use it to have an understanding of SymfoS basic approach and potential use in their working environments.
- Policy makers in the field of education and in charge of recognition tools for skills and qualification who can find in this document all relevant information to get to know this powerful method and to help young people to find their way.
In addition to the Generic Framework, project partners worked on National Reports focusing on different traditions and understanding of symbol work in five European countries, Austria, Germany, Ireland, Germania, Italy, with the aim to contextualise symbol work in SymfoS project partners’ national system of education and career guidance. The research explores important symbols in own culture, the existence of similar methods and the possibility for the validation of the method according to national validation systems.
You can read the Generic Framework and National Reports in your language (see the download area):
- Generic Framework in English, German, Italian and Spanish
- National reports for Austria, Germany, Ireland, Italy and Spain
- Summaries of National Reports for Austria, Germany, Ireland, Italy and Spain